It is cold up North. I would need
to buy a coat if I moved up there, but I don’t have the money for that. Maybe I
could buy good gloves and a hat instead. But what do I do if it snows? I don’t
even know what snow feels like, or how to walk on it, or what shoes to buy.
What am I thinking?
“Thanks for showing me all this and
explaining how to apply, but I have a great part-time job here in Charlotte, so
I think I won’t really apply to the Ivey Leagues up North. I don’t want to give
up my job, you know….” I answered the school counselor after she spend an hour
showing me glossy brochures about different schools she really wanted me to
apply to, because they were going to be my path to glory. I tried to stay calm and give a rational
answer. But honestly, I was scared, scared shitless.
I saw the disappointment in her
eyes. She felt my resignation. She knew it was not about the part-time job
only, but she couldn’t put her fingers on all the other reasons that kept that
pipe dream from becoming a potentiality on my radar. I never shared all the
burdens of the rest of my life with her. She had only witnessed my ambition, my
excellence with standardized tests, my challenging questions to teachers, my
endless curiosity, my never satiated hunger for knowledge. She knew – merely
based on the dark color of my skin - that I had overcome obstacles, but how
would she – with her tender light skin - know what they were? I never bothered
to begin to explain them to her or anyone. It was too complicated and at the time,
even I didn’t know how to put them all down in words and sentences. I focused
on everything else instead. In her -and the likes of her- presence I had always
been my best opportunity-embracing self.
But, at that moment, my stomach
felt the same way it did back two years ago when I found out my mother had to
pawn off the violin to pay some utility bills. I wasn’t playing it anymore,
because my new school didn’t have an orchestra or classical music instruction,
but that violin – sitting unused at home - had become my token to a path that
would take me to new places, new worlds, away from my small muggy world filled
with bumps in the road, and into worlds of passion combined with endless
opportunity. Away from a place where TV and occasional fast food indulgence
were a solace to some, to a place and time where men with wild hair and even
wilder minds had the luxury of filling their lives expressing every little
desire or petty distraction with instruments flying, banging and fluttering up
and down octaves of scales in harmony with dozens of other string, wind or
brass instruments.
That little memory of an escape had
to be taken away from me to make it through the monthly budget. Similarly, now,
I realized my whole reason for pushing and ploughing to get ahead was facing a
major road block. All the little burdens I had been in denial about, showed up unannounced
as a cumulative force right then. And for the first time ever, I just didn’t
have the strength to step over them all piled up right there in front of me.
A price of a winter coat, my
mother’s utility bills, Greyhound tickets back and forth, the education of my 8th
grade sister, the overbearing preaching pastor hovering over the household void
of a father, the neighborhood boys preying over my younger siblings.
I had to forego the best education
for myself, because I had a conscience and a love like a mother hen over her
vulnerable chicks. I couldn’t leave and expose my chicks to the dangers all
around. I had to go to college in town. That I would do.
No comments:
Post a Comment